Thursday, May 13, 2010

Teaching languages

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay, I live out in the country and haven't been able to maintain an internet connection tonight until now.

I plan to teach high school language arts, hopefully in a rural area. This means I would be working with students who tend to come from low-income families and/or are part of a minority group. In light of this, Delpit’s article sheds some interesting light on the idea of teaching the language of power (formal English) while maintaining the heritage language. As a teacher, in order to implement this successfully in my classroom, I need to make the point, which Delpit also makes, that neither language is “better,” but each has an appropriate time for usage. In my classroom I would not restrict students completely to the language of power, but instead offer a variety of assignments which will force students to engage both languages by using the appropriate one based on the context of the assignment (formal or informal writing).

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger zhasmene said...

I think that supporting a variety of languages/dialects/styles of speech is a great idea. I think that the variety would not only be useful to those students who need more exposure to the 'language of power', but also to those who need exposure to other ways. Having always spoken something that is essentially the 'language of power', I think it would be interesting to learn and use other styles of writing in assignments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home