Wednesday, May 12, 2010

All students are created equal

I am planning on becoming a high school Language Arts teacher. Delpit’s article shows me that many students I teach will come to me with certain biases. By the time they reach my classroom, they will already feel discriminated against. They will most likely have a strong distrust in teachers of any subject but mainly Language Arts. This article showed me that I need to teach all of my students the same. I shouldn’t favor any student based on racial or social class. Every student of mine should feel welcomed by me and the subject I teach. Every student will be equal in my classroom.

1 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger Dalicia said...

I love the ideas and voice in your writing. I certainly agree that as teachers we must recognize each of our students have a past and this affects them within the context of our classrooms, but "treating them the same" might not be the exact way to address this issue. I understand that you mean create equality for them, but because each student is so unique, treating each student as an individual is best. We need to work with students to use their strengths, and to strengthen their weak areas. This can only be accomplished by recognizing students' differences and not being afraid as teachers to address them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home