Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Video Response

I think students who do not know English as a first language do need a lot of extra help. English is the hardest language to learn (so I've heard), so I am empathetic towards those who are trying to learn English to open up more opportunities for themselves. However, the university is an institution of higher learning and I don't think it is other professors' jobs to teach students the language in which we speak, write, read, and teach in. If the writing center wants to help students, that's fine, but I don't think an English, or a geology professor should feel required to teach the student English. I don't think we should be using universities as a place where people learn English. Perhaps that should be separated from the university. Teachers have plenty of other stuff to deal with. Students who know English as a second language will never be able to understand and be as fluent as native speakers. And the same goes for me trying to learn some other language. I think that some consideration should be taken into account for their writing, but I think it should be looked at as a "teaching moment" where the student can learn a lot from his or her mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home