Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Implementing Explicit Instruction

While I think "The Silenced Dialogue" is a very interesting article, I find the lack of implementation strategies problematic. I agree with Delpit that there is a language of power and that everyone should have access to it, but I'm not sure how we can achieve this goal. Diversity is something that we value in this country, which I think is a good thing, but unfortunately the very things that make us unique also make it difficult to standardize teaching methods. How can teachers effectively instruct their students when there are so many different racial, ethnic, economic, and educational backgrounds in one classroom? It would be quite difficult for a teacher to be authoritarian enough for some students while simultaneously avoiding being characterized as "mean" by others. One possible way to teach all students the language of power is to separate the students into different groups. When I was in elementary school, all of the fifth-graders were divided into four groups based upon their mathematical abilities. There were four fifth-grade teachers, and each teacher took responsibility for one group of students; everyday during class we would get into our groups for a short period of time for our math lessons and then return to our normal classroom when we had finished. Perhaps something similar could be used to teach the language of power to all students. On another note, I wanted to ask what you guys think the language of power is in America. Obviously it is standard English, but is there an accepted dialect or accent? For example, is a Southern drawl outside the language of power? What about the Northeastern accent? I am even told that there is a West Coast accent (there was an article about this in The Oregonian last year) that separates us from the rest of the country. Is there a national language of power or is it simply a regional thing?

4 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the case with your math class experience, i think that it has potential to ostracize those that do not know the language of power or are at a lower level than others. Rather than help, it could perpetuate the spread of those who know the language of power and those who do not.
In response to a national language of power. I believe there is one, and for the most part accent will not detract horribly from a person who knows the language of power. I think that as long as one can speak or write in concordance with the rules of the language of power, the sound or different inflections in a voice shouldn't cause a person to be outside the language of power.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger KJ said...

I have the same concerns about the "segregation" between different levels of knowledge of the language of power. It may help some, but it may also make the experience that much worse for others. Also, when it comes to accents, I think it has more of an effect than people realize. For example, when I'm in the South and addressed by someone with a very thick drawl and called "darlin" and "sweetie", I won't react to them the same way I would someone speaking to me in the Northwest. Not the best example, but that's what it made me think of.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger feebeef said...

The division of students in groups can be a bad and good thing. Sometimes it is necessary. I experienced this kind of teaching in my elementary school days. It's probably nice for the kids in the "normal" or "best" group, but I was in the lowest math group and felt stupid every time my group was separated from the rest of the class. I realize now that I was just slow at catching onto math and I turned out OK. I think it can be demoralizing at the time for some students, but I think in the long run, the individual attention might do them more good.
I think accents do affect what we think about people. My great aunt and uncle are Pennsylvania Dutch. They have really heavy accents and they have been treated like they were foreigners. They went to AAA to get their account renewed and the man said that he was sorry, but non-US residents can't get AAA. It was kinda funny to hear about and I completely understand why he thought they weren't from this country (because they do if you don't know Pennsylvania Dutch accent).

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I agree that scholastically, groups such as your math class can benefit by being placed in groups founded on their ability. This also created a social problem though, especially for the kids in the group with "lesser skills." No matter how you sugar coat it, someone may feel bad or inadaquate. Now if there were a way to eliminate that trouble, that would be nifty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home