Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Nominalization in Texts

I see nominalization often in texts I read in both scientific primary sources and literary secondary sources. In scientific articles, nominalization is used in explaining methodology; this draws attention to the method used by allowing verbs to be the subject of the sentence. Generally, scientific writing is concise and this doesn’t detract from the readability of the article. Literary criticism, as far as I can tell, uses nominalization to make abstract ideas concrete. However, due to the long-winded nature of literary criticism, this tends to make these articles difficult to read.

This class has made me more aware of dangling and misplaced modifiers, which are, for me, easy to make when constructing long sentences. Because this class has taught me how to divide sentences into their individual components, I can more easily find modifier errors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home