Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Interview with Dr. C from the English department

I interviewed Dr. C. in the English department. This professor felt that grammar and correctness are very important and the ability to write well “exhibits one of the most important skills of the discipline.” Dr. C. also claimed that in English, it is hard to understand “the subtleties of writing if [students] aren’t conversant with the standards of grammar and usage.” Thus, possessing good grammar skills becomes a key element in appreciating the literary texts being studied. Also, grammar and correctness affect a student’s impact in their writing because “writing and speaking well are equated with thinking well.” In the field, grammar is very important because professors are required to publish written works. As for what type of writing is best for this field, Dr. C. said there are many styles that work but, “the key--the bottom line, though--is clarity.” Lucidity and grammatical prose also seem to go a long way, as well as careful editing.

2 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Tams said...

"Possessing good grammar skills becomes a key element in appreciating the literary texts being studied" is a very good point. As an English major I sometimes have difficulty understanding and appreciating the literary texts that we read. However, I find that the more I learn the more I understand. Obviously! But also, the more I appreciate. As my grammar skills and understanding improves I can recognize something now that I wouldn't have before.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger elchupacabra said...

Grammar skills are definitely imperative! I work in the writing center and often work with students who struggle with grammar.On the one hand, I want to help them with the content and form of their papers, but on the other, I must understand what they are saying first!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home