Thursday, January 27, 2005

Question 2

Acceptance of what? Are we talking about the acceptance of any standard of communication or an assumed acceptance of mainstream rules of communication? I have to admit having approached Delpit's article with bias. I approached it with the word 'Ebonics' ringing in my head, and the following firestorm of derision that quickly shot down the methodology. I read the article thinking this was Delpit's stance and found that it was not. I was gravely concerned, and still am, about the approach some teachers and American Educational subsytems take which amounts to throwing up their hands at any attempt to teach standard English.
Delpit describes the "language of power" in terms of oppression rather than universal clarity of communication, and I have a hard time with this. Oprah Winfrey talks about how the people she grew up with gave her a hard time for "speaking proper". I wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars she'd be worth if she hadn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home